• No votes yet

Build a Magnetic Wooden Knife Holder

more on woodworking safety

Tools and Materials

I wanted a way to store my kitchen knives that would free up counter space and protect the knives' sharp edges from getting nicked and dulled (I spend enough time time sharpening my woodworking tools!).

Here's one solution: Find a nicely figured piece of hardwood, embed some high-strength magnets, rout keyholes for easy wall-mounting, then finish with mineral oil.

If you're lucky to have a full shop like I do at Makeville Studio, you can start with rough lumber and mill to final size. Otherwise, start with 1x4 hardwood stock, available pre-milled from most home centers and lumber yards.

Tool options:
    If you're using rough lumber, you'll need a tablesaw, planer, and jointer. Otherwise, if you start with pre-milled lumber (use 1x4 stock), you'll need a miter saw or handsaw.

You'll also need a 1/2-in. Forstner bit in either a drill press or a handheld drill.

Last, you'll need a stationary or plunge router with a keyhole bit.

Download: Get a step-by-step PDF of this project here.

How to Make

Mill lumber (or buy it pre-milled): If you're using rough lumber, cut a piece slightly oversize on the chopsaw (see tip, below). Mill your piece flat and square, taking the thickness down to 7/8 in. to 1 in.

Mill lumber (or buy it pre-milled)click to enlargeViewfinder

Crosscut lumber: Cut your milled lumber to size on the tablesaw: rip it to 4 in. and crosscut it to 24 in.. Or, crosscut 1x4 stock to 24 in. on a chopsaw or with a handsaw. Tip: Before crosscutting, examine the board for defects such as checks (cracks running in from the ends), knots, and anything else you don't like the look of. Then look for areas with color and grain pattern that you do like. Your 24-in. length should exclude the "bad" stuff and include as much of the "good" as possible. A quick and handy tool for picking out the best area in a board is a simple homemade viewfinder like the one shown above.

Mill lumber (or buy it pre-milled)click to enlarge

Lay out for the magnets: Lay out magnet locations on back of board. The 1/2-in.-dia. holes for the magnets will be spaced 1.5 in. apart, centered in the board.

Mill lumber (or buy it pre-milled)click to enlargeDrilling

Drill magnet holes: Load up the 1/2-in. Forstner bit in your drill press. Set the depth stop so that the center guide of the Forstner bit stops short of the front face of your board. You'll want the bottom of the hole to be at most 1/8 in. from the face of the board. Drill 15 holes. Tip: No drill press? Use a handheld drill with an improvised depth stop, made of cardboard and tape.

Mill lumber (or buy it pre-milled)click to enlargeRouting setup

Rout keyholes: Lay out and rout two keyhole mounting slots. Mark two 1.5-in. lines parallel to the long edge of the board, starting 1 in. from each side. Using a plunge router with an edge guide, plunge in about 1/2 in. and then rout out your 1.5-in. line. Tip: No plunge router? Drill a 3/8-in. hole about 1/2 in. deep, place your stationary router in the hole, turn on the power, and rout the 1.5-in. straight line from there.

Mill lumber (or buy it pre-milled)click to enlargeCard scraping

Prep the surface for a finish: Prep the board for finishing. Use a card scraper or sanding block to remove any scratches or other marks from the visible face and edges of the board. The card scraper will give you a smooth finish very quickly. If you're sanding, start with 120-grit and then change to 220- or 240-grit for a final finish. Tip: Soften sharp edges quickly using a block plane to create a light bevel (inset).

Mill lumber (or buy it pre-milled)click to enlargeInserting glue

Install magnets: Glue in the magnets. One hole at a time, put a couple drops of cyanoacrylate (super) glue in the bottom of the hole and push in a magnet. Make sure the magnet is inserted fully. Tap it in gently with a dowel if necessary.

Mill lumber (or buy it pre-milled)click to enlargeApplying finish

Finish the rack: Apply a mineral oil finish. This can be as simple as wiping on some oil, letting in soak in for 15 minutes, and then wiping it off. But if you want a buttery smooth finish, continue to the next step.

Mill lumber (or buy it pre-milled)click to enlargeFinishing slurry

Sand in the finish: Load your sanding block with 400 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper and sand with the grain. When you see a thick oil/sawdust slurry forming, you're done sanding. Let the oil sit for 15 minutes and then wipe off.

MakevilleStudio

Comments

This is such a great resource

stuartlittle1122
    stuartlittle1122 stuartlittle writes: I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. small usb flash drive

Thanks for this great post, i

davidalan1122
    davidalan1122 davidalan1122 writes:

Thanks for this great post, i find it very interesting and very well thought out and put together. I look forward to reading your work in the future.                        rebelmouse.com

I can see that you are an

davidalan1122
    davidalan1122 davidalan1122 writes:

I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business.                                    http://www.textyourexback2.com/

You know your projects stand

stuartlittle1122
    stuartlittle1122 stuartlittle writes:

You know your projects stand out of the herd. There is something special about them. It seems to me all of them are really brilliant!     christian h.'s girlfriend activation system examples

This is a great inspiring

stuartlittle1122
    stuartlittle1122 stuartlittle writes:

This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post.
         watch full length movies online for free now

OK - I just saw a video on

danmadden
    Dan Madden writes:

OK - I just saw a video on this and I changed my mind, I am going to make one. I just wish you made this video on youtube.com

Thanks!

danmadden
    Dan Madden writes:

I just don't see myself hanging knives with magnets.  I know people do it all the time, but it just seems dangerous to me.  I would rather keep them somewhere where they aren't in danger of falling.

Wonderful illustrated

stuartlittle1122
    stuartlittle1122 stuartlittle writes:

Wonderful illustrated information. I thank you about that. No doubt it will be very useful for my future projects. Would like to see some other posts on the same subject!   keuken renovatie

This is truly a great read

stuartlittle1122
    stuartlittle1122 stuartlittle writes:

This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work!.      best whitening creams

Its an worthy article

Kreon1415
    Nick Berban writes:

Its an worthy article presently it means a lot to me!!! Thanks for your valuable info check out this latest news... https://archive.org/details/FibroidsMiracleReviewAmandaLeto

Just admiring your work and

davidalan1122
    davidalan1122 davidalan1122 writes:

Just admiring your work and wondering how you managed this blog so well. It’s so remarkable that I can't afford to not go through this valuable information whenever I surf the internet!    Ingrid

I admire this article for the

stuartlittle1122
    stuartlittle1122 stuartlittle writes:

I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording.  I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading.  I am impressed with your work and skill.  Thank you so much.    seo nashville

im really great

arridersz
    muhamad aminuddin writes: Hello, i am glad to read the whole content of this blog and am very excited and happy to say that the webmaster has done a very good job here to put all the information content and information at one place tabita skin care tabita skin care

Spot a nicely figured shred

ahmed2
    wasim ahmed writes:

Spot a nicely figured shred of hardwood, embed quantity shrill-potency magnets, debacle keyholes for comfortable fortification-mounting, next conclusion beside ore lubricate. colored french bulldog

I read a article under the

ashleydanielle
    ashley danielle writes:

I read a article under the same title some time ago, but this articles quality is much, much better. How you do this..             NITROvit Review

Thanks for the valuable

ashleydanielle
    ashley danielle writes:

Thanks for the valuable information and insights you have so provided here...            tanden bleachen

Awesome submit We have

sonrob
    son rob writes:

Awesome submit We have absolutely become seasoned acquired time to reveal in addition to best wishes taking into account the important points. Know-how is really appropriately this particular sticky change lives.  Sun Premier Support

I read that Post and got it

ashleydanielle
    ashley danielle writes:

I read that Post and got it fine and informative. Please share more like that...    http://theofficialwebsite.co/christian-h-girlfriend-activation-system-review/

Thanks for sharing nice

ashleydanielle
    ashley danielle writes:

Thanks for sharing nice information with us. i like your post and all you share with us is uptodate and quite informative, i would like to bookmark the page so i can come here again to read you, as you have done a wonderful job   e zigarette liquids

Super-Duper site! I am Loving

tdtgc123
    tdtgc123 tdtgc writes:

Super-Duper site! I am Loving it!! Will come back again, Im taking your feed also, Thanks.

over at rebelmouse.com

Great article Lot's of

thscp1122
    thscp thscp writes:

Great article Lot's of information to Read...Great Man Keep Posting and update to People..Thanks

top news today

rahulkumar
    rahul kumar writes:

which nudges the frontier with Russia. Above the Arctic Circle, it’s daylight around the clock at the moment, and the coastal lands look their best, basking in the brief northern summer.

today news,

todays news,

news for today

CA0-001

yasmeen lambo
    yasmeen lambo writes:

The affirmation is one of essentials for the experts looking to land a prominent position in the field of NCPI layer of server farm. There are sure sets of abilities that would be produced CA0-001  exam when one requests this course. The essentials of a percentage of the components are taught in this course accreditation like force, cooling, cabling, racks, fire assurance, physical security and administration.

I think more updates and will

Meelajasmine
    Meela Jamine writes:

I think more updates and will be returning. I have filtered for qualified edifying substance of this calibre all through the past various hours. 338A

To increase passage into

xara noor
    xara noor writes:

To increase passage into graduate school, prospective learners are obliged to how to write a personal statement for law school the explanations why they need to turn into an attorney. Not at all like the school passage provision, individual proclamations for graduate school are papers that have an open organization. Great legal counselors are high achievers much sooner than they enter graduate school. They ooze trust and fulfill their objectives.

Online magic charm and

jaquline777
    ertet rtfdrfdsf writes:

Online magic charm and Grammar Checker promises to change the way we compose by correcting, shining and enriching our simple text. persons who use computers at dwelling or in the office rapidly find out that composing consumes much of their activity.

closed captioning

Mate this is a very nice blog

Jenefee
    Jenefee Mike writes:

Mate this is a very nice blog here. I wanted to comment & say that I enjoyed reading your posts & they are all very well written out. You make blogging look easy lol I’ll attemp to start a blog later today and I hope it’s half as good as your blog! Much success to you! Judi Bola

Is the magnet wood knife

seansmith21
    sean smith writes:

Is the magnet wood knife holder going to work for all kind of knife blades? My knives have all gone through an Universal Edge Prep System, it makes them last longer, and I wouldn't want to complete the project only to discover it wouldn't work for them. I'll make sure to check out other wood knife holders though!

My work

niecholas
    Niecholas Ken writes:

I always wanted to say that the family carpentry, has long wanted to write, but the recent move, many things left a small tail, the need to deal with a little bit slowly. Have to say that, ray ban shop in the renovation period, once again hone my patience. Always appears this kind of accident, the plan changes is a common thing, yesterday received a call saying a netizen, house decoration originally prepared their own equipment, the results because hydropower is some problem, toss a month, on the put their patience to grind over, think about and there are so many things that hit backed away, looking directly to the whole of a renovation team. Think I seem okay, at least persevered.

Don't like it.

kwhit190211
    Keith Whitmore writes:

While I read your article with interest, it's not for me. Magnets might have their place in other places but it the kitchen, I think not! For one thing when you hang a carbon steel utensil up with a magnet the object becomes magnetized eventually. By this I mean if there is a small minute speck or particle of carbon steel metal around it will be atracted to the magnetized utensil. And, maybe even end up in the food your cutting. Mmmm, I can picture a trip to the dentist, on that one. Anyways, if you have stainless cuttlery it might 'stick' to the magnets. It all hinges on how much chrome they put into the mix to make the cutterly. Some stainless is magnetic

Magnetic Knife Holder

Alfred1
    Alfred Obst writes:

my solution to getting more magnet strenght would be to rout a half inch (give or take depending on the size of your magnets) dado on the back.

Without the point on the Forstner bit, you could put the magnets a 1/16 inch (or less if you are careful) from the front face thereby increasing the magnets strenght. Glue the magnets in the dado.

My thoughts on magnetic knife holders

RobertGroh
    Robert Groh writes:

I am by no means an expert in magnetics but here is my take on the subject based on some thought as well as making 3 knife bars for Christmas presents last year.  First point, as Stephen noted, size of the magnet does matter. The one's used here are massive - rated for 40 lbs each! Cost is a bit less than $2 each which is not bad.  You can use smaller magnets but you will need more of them. I used much smaller magnets but put them right next to each other (about 1/3" diameter x 1/4" thick). It worked but came out a little bit weak.  I did use a steel bar across the back to 'concentrate' the flux and it helped quite a bit.

Frankly the overall magnetic design could probably be designed better for more 'grunt' for less bucks. You do want the magnetics as close to the knife blades as you can get them - the attractive force drops off strongly with distance. I think you also want some sort of flux concentrators  - without something to 'catch' the flux on the back side you are loosing a bunch of 'good stuff'.

Time to do some more experimenting!  After you decide on the type of magnets and the arrangement then you can design an attractive wood piece to house them.

Wish I'd seen this before I

Liffy99
    Stephen J writes: Wish I'd seen this before I ordered some magnets, which have proven too weak (15mm x 3mm, N40). How can you tell which strength magnet to use ? The ones I bought are rated at a 2kg (4.4lb) pull. But this is a fraction of the strength of the ones used in this project. Our heaviest knife weighs 200g - a tenth of the magnet rating, but just slides off (takes 5 of these magnets to hold it). I've drilled as close to the wood surface as I can, about 2.5mm with a Forstner bit but can't go any deeper as the pilot spike would break through. I can see daylight though the thickness left by the pilot spike as it is.