• Al Fresco Woodworking
    About this Blog
    No votes yet

Build a Ryczka (Step Stool): Part One

more on woodworking safety

Tools and Materials

First Project Criteria
    What makes an ideal first project for a brand new woodworker? In attempting to answer this question, I came up with the following criteria. The ideal project:

• Should be made of (or have the option to be made of) inexpensive, commonly available wood like pine, or even plywood.
    • Should require a limited number of inexpensive, commonly available tools.
    • Can be made with hand tools, power tools, or a combination of both for every step along the way.
    • Will be something that most people can make use of and leave its maker with a beautiful, useful object that will last for a long time.
    • Should be small enough that most people will have room for it no matter what size their living quarters.
    • Should not require a wood shop or bench, nor tools required to work with large pieces of large lumber.
    • Will be manageable and mobile, and thus require no help from friends to carry lumber or the completed object.
    • Will enable, in original or modified form, the beginning woodworker to learn fundamental woodworking skills that have broad and future applicability.
    • What are your ideal first projects and/or project criteria?

These criteria seemed to leave only stools and boxes and then it hit me, in one of those "Oh, how could you have possibly missed this?!" moments, as I sketched stools of varying heights. "A ryczka! Of course, a ryczka!"

What on earth is a ryczka (pronounced, roughly, as "rich-kah")?

A Very Brief History of the Ryczka
    Everyone called my great grandfather Dziadz, an abbreviated form of dziadzia, the Polish word for grandfather. (I think I was about 11 before I realized Dziadz wasn't, obviously, his full name.)

He used the word "ryczka" to refer to a specific style of step stool that he built, which conveniently doubles as a small bench to sit on (see photos). I consulted several Polish dictionaries but found none that contained the term "ryczka."

My dear friend, Jennifer, lived in Poland for a few years and generously jumped in on the linguistic scavenger hunt. She found a type of stool called a tabouret, for which another name is ryczka, as noted in a sentence in Polish that translated to "There will also be a tabouret (in Poznan they call this a ryczka)." She added, "The term seems common enough in online Polish furniture sites that, if you tell a Pole you're making a ryczka, he or she will probably know exactly what you intend to build."

Ryczka Dimensions
    I travel a lot these days without access to my tools and bench, but I thought I'd post the ryczka history, photos, and dimensions now to enable others to either prepare or get started, and post the plan, cut list, and build-along soon.

The dimensions of a completed ryczka (see photos) are:

• Top: 20-1/2 in. wide by 15 in. deep with a "handle" opening of 3-3/4 in. by  1-1/2 in.
    • Sides/Legs (2): 16-1/2 in. wide by 13-1/2 in. high, with cuts and angles as shown in photos.
    • Front/Aprons (2): 20-1/2 in. wide by 6 in. high

Project Tools and Materials
    This is a basic project that includes some less-than-fine materials and methods, a challenge in and of itself. What would James Krenov say?!

• We'll be using a few pieces of plywood or pine to meet these dimensions (cut list forthcoming), but will probably begin with plywood.
    • A power and/or hand saw, as wide variety of saws will work well for making these cuts, whether a bandsaw, basic handsaw, Japanese handsaw, or circular saw.
    • Hammer or drill
    • Nails or screws
    • Sandpaper or handheld power sander (optional)
    • Finish (optional)

What is your ideal first project?
    What projects would you recommend to brand new woodworkers? Why or why not? What projects or pieces do you have that have interesting familial or cultural histories?

Click here for part two on how to build the ryczka.

How to Make

How to build a ryzka: Follow along in part two of this post to find out how to build this project step by step.

Stephany

Comments

I recently came across your

ashleydanielle
    ashley danielle writes:

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.      login sbobet

You would think the pricey

prdudes
    Victoria Park Villas villas writes:

You would think the pricey offers would put some off, but they are proving to be quite popular. All of the 419 available units for the new Toa Payoh Apex estate had been oversubscribed by 5PM the same day it opened. westwood residences. westwood residences ec

Nice!

pmckinley791

I think that thanks for the

tdtgc123
    tdtgc123 tdtgc writes:

I think that thanks for the valuabe information and insights you have so provided here.

Thanks for the post and great

tdtgc123
    tdtgc123 tdtgc writes:

Thanks for the post and great tips..even I also think that hard work is the most important aspect of getting success..          here's what I found

India

gmehta89
    Vikas Goyal writes:

Great post! Have been working on a strategy for the 'right after' each blog post. You included several I had not thought of, but will definitely try. Will be passing this on through my social media sites.

GATE 2015 Notification GATE 2015 Application Form

This is a smart blog. I mean

tdtgc123
    tdtgc123 tdtgc writes:

This is a smart blog. I mean it. You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion. You also know how to make people rally behind it, obviously from the responses.       https://www.rebelmouse.com/dramamethodreview/

Very good written article. It

ashleydanielle
    ashley danielle writes:

Very good written article. It will be supportive to anyone who utilizes it, including me. Keep doing what you are doing – can’r wait to read more posts     here's how to make guys want you online by following the online allure formula

I high appreciate this post.

ashleydanielle
    ashley danielle writes:

I high appreciate this post. It’s hard to find the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you’ve nailed it! would you mind updating your blog with more information?   e go zigarette

jurong lakelife ec

prdudes
    Victoria Park Villas villas writes: And now HDB has launched a new Cool Ideas Fund to help winning participants transform their prototype creations into workable ones which can be tested in HDB blocks. There is a possibility the prototypes could be commercialised. yuan ching ec

new punggol amore ec

prdudes
    Victoria Park Villas villas writes: Bathrooms, although one of the smallest rooms in a home, are one of the most labour-intensive components to be built as they involve multiple trades like plumbing and electrical works. the amore punggol ec

I like the valuable info you

ashleydanielle
    ashley danielle writes:

I like the valuable info you provide in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and check again here frequently. I am quite certain I will learn many new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next  watch movies online free alluc

Hello I am so delighted I

tdtgc123
    tdtgc123 tdtgc writes:

Hello I am so delighted I located your blog, I really located you by mistake, while I was watching on google for something else, Anyways I am here now and could just like to say thank for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining website. Please do keep up the great work.

conversational hypnosis mastery

Hello I am so delighted I

tdtgc123
    tdtgc123 tdtgc writes:

conversational hypnosis mastery

A four-bedroom apartment in

prdudes
    Victoria Park Villas villas writes:

A four-bedroom apartment in the prime Draycott 8 project has been put up for sheriff's auction on March 27. Separately, four condo units in Sentosa Cove are marketed by private treaty have been put up for sale by their mortgagees (or lenders). new amore ec

Such bathrooms can still be

prdudes
    Victoria Park Villas villas writes:

Such bathrooms can still be enhanced by providing better finishes such as sanitary fittings of a higher quality, apart from its layout, noted Mr Francis Koh, group chief executive of Koh Brothers Group. new choa chu kang ec

The indicative price for the

loxxin
    Marina Tower Verebeen writes:

The indicative price for the unit is $6-6.5 million, which reflects about $2,096-$2,270 psf based on the unit's strata area of 2,863 sq ft. Terrace EC new

The indicative price for the

prmates
    Victoria Park Villas Tan writes:

The indicative price for the unit is $6-6.5 million, which reflects about $2,096-$2,270 psf based on the unit's strata area of 2,863 sq ft. city gate

coment

mortezjo

Each feasible proposal will

prdudes2
    Victoria Park Villas coronation road writes:

Each feasible proposal will be given a grant capped at $10,000 to help with the cost of developing and test-bedding the prototypes. Awardees will have to match dollar for dollar, the grant received from HDB

Victoria Park Singapore

We share the same idea

kowuberu
    Bryan Grandi writes:

We share the same idea althoughI don't have the right tools to make it but thanks for sharing though. antibacterial body wash