• Your rating: None (1 vote)

12 Tips for Router-Table Safety

Although most router bits are small, routers and bits deserve your attention and respect. As with all power tools, you can enjoy them safely by following these safety guidelines, excerpted from Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Routers.

1. Use push blocks to position your hands a safe distance from the bit.

2. Large-diameter bits are for use only in a router table. Using bits over 1 in. dia. in a handheld router can easily cause you to lose control of the tool.

3. Always wear eye and hearing protection.

4. Take light cuts. Heavy cuts invite kickback. If necessary, move the fence closer to the bit or switch to a larger guide bearing.

Small router cuts

Small Cuts Making small cuts with the router will reduce your risk of kickback.

5. Use a featherboard to support the workpiece against the router table or fence.

Cutting Direction

6. Never climb-cut. Always feed the stock from right to left. (see illustration at right)

7. Avoid shaping small stock. Instead, shape a larger piece and reduce it in size afterwards. If you must shape a small piece, build an appropriate jig or secure the work within the jaws of a wooden handscrew clamp.

8. Always use a guard. If the fence didn’t come with a guard, purchase an aftermarket guard or devise one of your own.

9. Never start the router with the bit in contact with the stock.

10. Don’t force the bit or overload the router.

11. Secure the motor in the base before starting the router.

12. Don’t bottom out the bit in the collet or partially insert the bit. Instead, completely insert the bit, and then back off approximately 1/16 in.

Browse more articles by Lonnie Bird, or visit him online at www.lonniebird.com.

Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Routers

by Lonnie Bird

Expand your skills through understanding of the router and what you can achieve with it. More than 800 photos and drawings show you how to use and care for your router and how to get the most from it.

Router guide

Lonnie_Bird

Comments

Comment viewing options

rdokoye
    Steve Knight writes:

Some excellent tips, definitely something we should all be familiar with, if and when we decide to DIY work, all the DIY work I do is typically on my computer, however.

ocpfsd1
    ocpfsd1 ocpfsd1 writes:

Mmm.. good to be here in your article or post, whatever, I think I should also work hard for my own website like I see some good and updated working in your site Watercolor Paintings for sale

ocpfsd1
    ocpfsd1 ocpfsd1 writes:

I find myself going for head-shots because a single shot does the job. I am very pleased with my purchase. The only problem is that I need something to keep them on my feet, Garcinia cambogia

dbbooster
    sean mao writes:

By simply holding a handful of nice shavings against the spinning pull.

192.168.0.1

dan mihai
    Dan Mihai writes:

I really impressed by reading this article. In future, you should be giving information about it more. I must have to admire you for this extra ordinary section of work. fitness craiova

dan mihai
    Dan Mihai writes:

This is great the blog that I always bookmarked are those who has a good information which is viewable and informative and you are one of those who provide good informations. Please visit comanda pizza craiova

ocpfsd1
    ocpfsd1 ocpfsd1 writes:

and therefore the author is basically clever and broadminded person. I’d prefer to browse another post this author with nice pleasure. Id card passbook photos

dan mihai
    Dan Mihai writes:

Write on! You have very good style. Reading this article was a pleasure! Please visit this page for more details panouri publicitare bucuresti

dan mihai
    Dan Mihai writes:

Time is really asset. I always try to make the biggest result from my time. gresie craiova

dan mihai
    Dan Mihai writes:

Interesting. I have no idea about this. Glad I discovered this site. Please visit my blog montaj dale craiova

ocpfsd1
    ocpfsd1 ocpfsd1 writes:

Your first title and also final title will be publicized with almost all reviews and also blogposts. We hope that using true labels might help maintain your discourse cordial and also respectful. Ibeacons online

comment master writes:

You produce a great point in your own final paragraph. We couldn’t agree more together with your points. In today’s modern world restaurante nunti bucuresti

ocpfsd1
    ocpfsd1 ocpfsd1 writes:

Your current initial label along with last label will be published together with almost all comments along with blogposts. Produce your own . of which the use of authentic labels can help keep the discourse cordial along with sincere. Click here for Garcinia cambogia

commentmaster
    master comment writes: Excellent post and people around the world will certainly get much through reading it.  dragon city cheat engine
    anchormaster
    anchor master writes:

Your first name and last name will be published alongside all comments and posts. We hope that the use of real names will help keep the discourse cordial and respectful.see More

brokenglass
    Andrea Docks writes:

Thank you for posting this article. it really healped me.

mayweather vs maidana

marker123
    marker sharker writes:

The law clerk program emphasises the students to have a complete grip on various legal works like maintaining and performing the corporate documents, real estate documents, filing and assisting in drafting the documents along with judges and lawyers and many other legal works that need strong scrutiny of skilled person.