• Your rating: None (2 votes)

Five Minute Guide to Glue-Ups

Furniture glue-ups can be one of the most stressful times for any woodworker. Once the glue goes on your components, the clock starts ticking. If you haven't prepared well ahead of time, all that work cutting and fitting joinery could fall flat on its face. In this short video, Fine Woodworking editor Asa Christiana and senior web producer Ed Pirnik demonstrate the right way to glue up your furniture projects—from dry-fitting and sanding, all the way through glue application and clamping.

How to Choose the Right Glue

All glues are not created equal. When selecting a glue for your woodworking projects, you should select your adhesive based on a few criteria: working time, color, and exposure to moisture.

Standard wood glues will suffice for the majority of projects. Commonly available adhesives like Titebond original and Titebond II are the go-to glues for most furniture projects that won't be exposed to the elements. These glues dry with a transparent glue line. But be careful, they begin to set up within 5-10 minutes, so you've got to work fast.
    If you're looking for more working time, you could consider a specialty glue tailor-made for tough glue-ups that demand a slower pace. They're usually marketed with a term like "Extend" in the brand name. A glue like Titebond Extend has a working time of approximately 20 minutes, and that's great for complex glue-ups. Plus, they dry with a clear glue line.
    Waterproof wood glues like Titebond III are perfect for any project that will be exposed to high humidity or moisture—think outdoor furniture, humidors, and cutting boards. They also give you a bit more open time than a standard wood glue--about 20-25 minutes. But be careful, they often dry with a tan glue line, not so good for projects made from light-colored woods like pine.

Comments

Comment viewing options

davidalan1122
    davidalan1122 davidalan1122 writes:

Thanks for sharing the info, keep up the good work going.... I really enjoyed exploring your site. good resource...                                  bearpaw emma short

Kim2014
    Jenny Brain writes:

It is really nice article. Thank you posting relative information and its now becoming easier to complete this project.  I am researching this topic for a paper I am writing. Your article provided me great insight of my topic.

KattyL
    Katy Lewis writes: Choosing the right glue for the final stage of a wood project can be tricky sometimes, that's why many people prefer to leave the furniture making to the professionals. Visit http://www.formafurniture.com/ and find out what's the latest trend regarding furniture that was made by the book.
    ericbosloor
    Eric Bosloor writes:

Thanks for this really useful step-by-step guide on how to perform the right glue-ups. I have been engaging myself in various woodworking projects and some of them are storage drawers made from pieces of planks. So far I have thought of simply hammering nails onto the edges to keep them together for a long period of time but having holes will not make them look nice physically actually. Now that I have seen these proper guidelines, I might just switch my technique and use glue instead to make the finish a flawless and smooth exterior.

ericbosloor
    Eric Bosloor writes:

judewalker
    andy walker writes: Every brand must have a twist on their brand name so it will attract consumers. Just like that glue, it is made to promote its flexibility, but only consumers can decide wether it's worth. Regards, Andy Walker "works at branding firm, click here for more"
    soysauce
    JOjo derf writes:

I think these are definitely some great tips for your house. So many great options to use to make your house better. - Marla Ahlgrimm

rossolini
    Ross Wilson writes:

I recently purchased  bottle of Titebond Extend to use for glue ups that require a lot of "tweaking" during clamping. Excellent product!

dlrooky
    Dave Rukavina writes:

A little mention of hide glue (longer working time, water solubility) and even polyurethane (expansion) would have been nice. Use of pipe clamps and staining/preventing staining from them could also have been mentioned. I noticed, at the bottom, references to other videos. There could also be pointers to videos on cleaning up glue smudges or finding them prior to finishing, clamping of non-square joints. It is a pretty good video for the topic.