• Editor's Mailbox
    About this Blog
    Your rating: None (3 votes)

Handplane Primer: What's the difference between bench and block planes?

“You need hand tools to produce your best work,” says furniture maker Michael Pekovich (he’s also the Fine Woodworking art director). So, even if you’re just getting started, eventually, you should to learn a thing or two about hand tools. But learning the lingo can be a little overwhelming.

In this short video, hand tool guru Matt Kenney demystifies hand planes describing the differences between common varieties and explaining what each is used for. He also gives tips on what planes to buy first.

Video with Matt Kenney, Video produced by Gina Eide and Valerie Cathcart

Bench or block?
    Hand planes fall into two major categories: bench planes and block planes. The difference is whether the bevel faces up or down. On bench planes, the bevel always faces down while on block planes, the bevel always faces up.

The bevel angles mean that bench planes excel at cutting with the grain while block planes are good for cutting end grain or against the wood grain.

Bench planes
    The plane size and shape also effects function. Short bench planes like a smoothing plane are good for smoothing the wood to create a glassy, finish-ready surface. Jack planes are slightly larger. They’re used in the early milling stages to remove the hills and valleys on the surface of a board. Jointer planes are the biggest of the bunch. They feature long flat soles to straighten or “joint” the wood.

Blocks planes
    The most basic type of block plane is a “block plane.” They’re small little tools that work well for chamfering or trimming end grain like you would for dovetails. Shoulder planes are another type of block planes. They excel at fine tuning joints since the blade runs across the full width of the body to help you get into the corners of joints like tenons and rabbets.

In recent years, a new type of block plane has arrived on the market. They come in a variety of lengths like a bevel-up jack plane or a bevel-up smoother, but they basically use the body of a bench plane with the iron of a block plane. They work well in conjunction with a shooting board to shoot end grain making it square to the long grain.

Which plane should I buy first?
    Kenney recommends buying a small block plane first because they’re very handy for a wide variety of tasks. Kenney likes the small-sized apron planes (named because they’re so small you can carry them in your shop apron all day long) but you could also get a standard size block plane. An adjustable mouth is a nice feature so you can close the opening to take really small shavings if needed.

Next, buy a smoother because hand planes can create beautiful, glassy, finish-ready surfaces. Next Kenney recommends a shoulder plane to help you clean up joinery and make joints fit together well.

Once you buy these three tools, things start to get a bit more esoteric and specialized and you may never need to go beyond these tools.

How much do I need to spend?
    For Kenney’s first hand plane, he went the economical rout and purchased a second-hand plane for about $15. It’s not something he’d recommend to beginners because he ended up spending for ever trying to tune up the plane. He suggests that beginners save up their money to buy a nice, quality new hand plane that’s ready to use right out of the box.

Short of that, try to find a good quality used hand plane. That’s a more difficult proposition but the key to a good plane is in the sole. Make sure it’s flat the length and the width of the plane. Also check the condition of the handle, the blade, and things like that to make sure they’re in good condition too.

What next?
    Once you get your hand plane home, the next challenge is learning how to sharpen the plane iron. That’s the real key to success with hand planes. Read other content on this site for more details on sharpening.

Comment viewing options

Yuan Hsia writes: This is an amazing woodwork. The best part about your blog is that it is promoting ancient art of woodwork to masses around the world. I hope you continue in the same manner. Do My Essay For Me
    ahmad kim writes: project success writes: This situation can be invisible for a while, but if the place of one's whole body it has impacted is popular, such as the experience or throat, then it not only can become annoying due to continuous damaging, but it can become unpleasant as wel http://safira89.tumblr.com/ http://samperino.webnode.com http://bit.ly/1isz8Wv
    allen foster writes: These tools seems to be effective,, I have used it on some of the furniture sets I got at http://www.javateakoutdoorfurniture.com/.. I fell some of the furniture during ride,, and I guess they need a refinish, so handplane is one of the tools that came to mind.
    Fian Fiansyah writes: you have cool and elegant site, thx, Berikut ini tips tutorial blog web mudah yang tepat.
    Silvia Cooper writes: Hi! I know that http://special-essays.com helps thousands of students get the highest grades.
    Morny Morcal writes: Because of you from now I can tell to anyone clearly about the difference of "bench and block planes". Towardsdo my assignments many many thanks to you!
    Fian Fiansyah writes: you have cool and elegant site, thx,secara gratis disini.pengertian adalah perbedaan
    Agathe Bienvenu writes: Top! Thank you for this article my french website mutuelle Comparateur de mutuelle santé
    David Silva writes: You'd better check this out
    Cloe Dillen writes: Perfect ! Thank you for the article my french website mutuelle reversus.fr
    Andrew King writes: Professional task authors who work carefully round the clock to support learners who approached kindly do my write my assignment for setting up all assignments through semester.
    faraz ahmed writes: Should there be another persuasive post you can share next time, I’ll be surely waiting for it. Buy Facebook fans
    Melanie Gesquiere writes: Thank you for this article. I support you my french website mutuelle Comparateur de mutuelle santé
    Fian Fiansyah writes: great post chord bondan bisa mampir kesini juga.
    Willene Zimin writes: I am a beginer in many areas and like what you have done. I believe a set of plans is available, and would like to get them whenever they come out. I am looking forward to making this my first real project after working on home repairs and remodeling.   cna classes online
    djas alangs writes:

hus, regardless of the fact that you're simply beginning, in the long run, you ought to take in a thing or two about hand devices. Sewing Machine Tools

anokhi susan writes:

Varieties and explaining what each is used for. He also gives tips on what planes to buy first. Cool cufflinks

sushi jaq writes: Really i appreciate the effort you made to share the knowledge.The topic here i found was really effective to the topic which i was researching for a long time. assignment service uk
    ark bhatti
    jony blade writes: Palm aircraft belong to two major categories: counter aircraft and prohibit aircraft. The variation is actually perhaps the bevel confronts upward or perhaps straight down. Upon counter aircraft, the actual bevel constantly confronts straight down although on prohibit aircraft, the actual bevel constantly confronts upward. therefore One of the main claims involving traveller and people for you to Kuala Lumpur is actually that there is a whole lot to perform so little time to perform them. Therefore, I recommend that you start out with the most noticeable, the actual petronas towers .
    ark bhatti
    jony blade writes: Give aeroplanes fall under two key groups: table aeroplanes and also prohibit aeroplanes. The actual variation is whether the bevel confronts up or maybe lower. On table aeroplanes, the bevel usually confronts lower although in prohibit aeroplanes, the bevel usually confronts up. and so the basic factors you need to understand about SSL, such as precisely what it can be, exactly why you need the idea, and also exactly why a low priced  what is a cv certification is competitive with a costly one.
    Bailey 556 writes: There are many different sizes of bench planes in the market like a short bench plane is also known as a block plane and its depend on you if you know the right plane. Can Someone Do My Essay is the best service for students of School, College, and University.
    James Hall
    James Hall writes:

Expert assignment writers who work diligently round-the-clock to assist learners who asked please do my nursing assignment for preparing all assignments during semester.

Bilal Bashir writes:

I have come to know that many students in universities are looking for essay custom writing services urgently. If you are one of them do not waste your money if some one is charging you high for urgency. I have mentioned link above where you will get best quality with really low price as they do not blackmail you by asking high prices for urgent work.

Areeshy456 Rao writes: "You need hand apparatuses to prepare your best work," says furniture creator Michael Pekovich (he's additionally the Fine Woodworking craft chief). Thus, regardless of the fact that you're simply beginning, in the long run, you ought to take in a thing or two about hand devices. At the same time taking in the language might be a bit of overpowering.global transcription services
    commenter man writes: You have done a great job. I will definitely dig it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this site mountainsportsliving
    smart cool writes:

Everyone loves what you guys tend to be up too. This kind of clever work and reporting!Keep up the terrific works guys I've included you guys to my personal blogroll.

smart cool writes:

Actually I read it yesterday but I had some thoughts about it and today I wanted to read it again because it is very well written.

criminal background check San Jose
    clipping path
    clipping path writes:

I like the helpful information you provide for your articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently.I am quite sure I’ll learn many new stuff proper here! Best of luck for the following!

clipping path

Siena Miller
    Siena Miller writes: Obat Tradisional Alami Penyakit Trigliserida amazon Jus Kulit Manggis Obat Herbal Penyakit Trigliserida amazon mampu menyehatkan penyakit trigliserida serta sangat aman jika dikonsumsi & tidak menimbulkan efek samping bagi setiap yang mengkonsumsinya. amazon Jus Kulit Manggis Obat Herbal Alami Penyakit Trigliserida Sungguh ajaib bumi ciptaan Tuhan khususnya Indonesia dengan menghadirkan berbagai jenis satwa dan flora yang indah dan begitu bermanfaat apabila kita bisa mengolahnya. Salah satu warga bangsa Indonesia telah berhasil menggunakan kekayaan alam Indonesia ini dengan memproduksi obat alami yang dapat diterima di kalangan masyarakat sekeliling dan sangat bermanfaat bagi masyarakat maupun dunia yaitu,"amazon Jus Kulit Manggis". amazon Jus Manggis adalah Obat Herbal Alami Penyakit Trigliserida Tinggi yang sangat aman & tidak berbahaya bagi kesehatan organ ginjal, dibuat dari bahan alamiah yaitu sari kulit buah manggis, bunga roselle, buah apel, buah anggur dan memakai madu murni yang digunakan sebagai bahan pengawet alaminya. amazon adalah jawaban terbaik untuk mengobati kadar trigliserida yang tinggi. Berbagai macam survey telah membuktikan bahwa kandungan xanthones yang ada di dalam kulit manggis memiliki antioksidan super yang mampu menolak radikal bebas. Selain itu zat xanthone juga dapat melebarkan pembuluh darah dan melancarkan peredaran darah. Tidak perlu dikhawatirkan lagi khasiat dan kegunaan amazon dalam mencegah & mengobati penyakit trigliserida tinggi. Konsumsi secara rutin Obat Tradisional Alami Penyakit Trigliserida amazon Amazing Juice akan sangat baik untuk kesehatan tubuh cara menurunkan trigliserida tinggi alami.