• Your rating: None (3 votes)

How to Silence Your Shop Vac

by Thomas R. Schrunk

Sanding used to give me the choice of two evils: I could use the sander’s onboard dust bag and let my lungs be the final filter, or I could attach a shop vacuum and replace dust pollution with noise pollution. To solve both problems, I built a particleboard box and lined it with acoustic padding. With the vacuum inside, the noise reduction was so great that I had it tested by a sound engineer. He registered an amazing 25-decibel reduction (see chart) to a level below that of an average conversation.

The vacuum can be switched on and off from outside the box, it will work with tool-activated vacuums, and I can now sand at will without creating either air or noise pollution.

Make the box in a morning
    The concept and the design are simple. Acoustic panels absorb 50% or more of the sound that strikes them; the sound not absorbed is bounced into other parts of the box, gradually reducing the noise. The internal surfaces of the walls and top are lined with acoustic padding, and the exhaust from the vacuum passes through a baffle to extend its contact with the padding before exiting at the rear of the box.

Noise-containment box. The dimensions shown give an internal space of 20 in. deep by 20 in. wide by 24 in. tall.

The box shown here holds a 5-hp Ridgid vacuum, but the size can be adjusted to fit any machine. You’ll need the internal dimensions of the box to be at least 4 in. greater than the dimensions of the vacuum to allow space for the padding and for easy removal of the vacuum for emptying. For this size box, you’ll need a sheet and a half of 3/4-in.-thick particleboard or medium-density fiberboard (MDF). The greater density of MDF gives it slightly better sound-dampening properties, but it weighs and costs more.

Use a router to cut 1/8-in.-deep rabbets and dadoes to help align the sections. Use yellow glue and a 16-ga. nail gun to assemble the back, sides, and shelf. Then use construction adhesive to apply padding to the underside of the shelf and the thin strips at the bottom of the sides.

Apply the padding.

Apply the padding to the bottom before you attach it to the box. Apply padding to the rest of the inside, including the door. For extra noise suppression, use 2-in.-thick padding on the inside of the top, right above where the noisy exhaust exits the vacuum. Next, cut out the hole for the hose inlet.

Mark the hose inlet. Use the vacuum in the box to mark where the hose will enter the box.

Sacrificial board. For a cleaner cut through the padding, clamp a piece of plywood or Masonite to the inside.

Then attach the door hinge and latch, and screw on the casters. Feed the vacuum’s electrical cord through the exhaust outlet, but don’t plug it in. Turn on the vacuum’s switch, place the vacuum in the box, and close the door. Plug the vacuum into an extension cord with a switch. Throw the switch on the extension cord and enter a whole new world of peaceful vacuuming.

Measuring the Noise Reduction

A sound engineer measured the noise reduction after putting the vacuum in the noise-containment box. 83 decibels (db.) is on the threshold of needing hearing protection, while 58 db. is quieter than the average conversation.

Sources of Supply

Acoustic padding
    Acoustical Surfaces Inc. (www.acousticalsurfaces.com; 800-527-6253) sells 2-ft. by 4-ft. batts of 1-in.-thick acoustic padding with a noise-reduction coefficient (NRC) of 0.80 for $18, and 2-in.-thick pads (NRC 1.15) for $32.

Ceiling tiles
    You also can use ceiling tile from home centers. Many have labels giving the NRC. Look for an NRC of at least 0.50, which absorbs 50% of the sound.

From Fine Woodworking #195

Photos: Mark Schofield; drawings: Vince Babak

Comments

Comment viewing options

Nick2014
    Nick Milter writes: You have done a great job. I will definitely dig it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this site. old school new body
    jhonabundance
    rompo
    Ronan Cohaley writes: All the RenovationExperts.com know that a good cleaning product can do wonders for a house not matter what materials were used in building it. Everything resumes to information that usually isn't received properly.
    rompo
    Ronan Cohaley writes: Everybody hopes for an affordable cleaning business and if you own a house similar to the ones from MakaiNy.com you must be in touch with everything that is new on the market in order to save money.
    jhonabundance
    ada ada writes:

yes he noise of sounds are really disturbing our works. So, this is what we need. Great tips and tricks how to silence the shop vac. Really appreciate and will share to others ASUS ZenFone Smartphone Android Terbaik

iuliancezar
    iuliancezar cezar writes: Not that expensive cleaning products that are environmentally friendly can be found these days almost everywhere and people should use them more often. A good media campaign will solve everything but someone needs to invest in it.
    iamerwin
    I am erwin writes:

I like your tips

Web Hosting Reviews

iuliancezar
    iuliancezar cezar writes: There is a mold removal company in Kansas City that really does a great job when it comes to cleaning your home. You have to provide for your family a safe environment. There are many germs and diseases that you can't see with your eyes and going every day to the doctor isn't a pleasant thing to do.
    chantika
    Chantika Permata writes:

The noise of sounds are really disturbing our works. So, this is what we need. Great tips and tricks how to silence the shop vac. Really appreciate and will share to others. ASUS ZenFone Smartphone Android Terbaik

ocpfsd1
    ocpfsd1 ocpfsd1 writes:

I am watching your website of last 3 months. I truly told you it is my one of the best lesson website, I am learn so much and i Mobile wallet solution trying to made wooden things.

andylisa
    andy lisa writes: I've been waiting for someone to share these articles. It really makes me feel that I want to read more. Thank you very much to write such an interesting article on this topic. Yamaha R15 dan Yamaha R25 Motor Sport Racing dan Kencang
    ocpfsd1
    ocpfsd1 ocpfsd1 writes:

This appears just the thing for my own smaller store, although the time can you abandon it managing ahead of the heat Garcinia cambogia gathers with no tire out. Would it not assist with slice a great tire out hole from the to encourage the heat to flee.

Judy40
    Judy Wavers writes:

I have the same concern as expressed in other posts.  What keeps the vac from over heating and what about the pressures of the exhaust inside the cabinet?

Relfy
    Gra Relf writes: The exhaust port in the rear of the case is sized to give ample exhaust capacity whilst also keeping the noise level down so that it won't build up pressure. The vacuum is cooled via the air that is sucked through the suction hose and exhausted out of the machine exhaust. Being inside the case with the rear exhaust port sized as per the drawing will not advesley effect the cooling of the vacuum. It may even enhance the cooling as the exhausted air is forced around the body of the vaccum before exiting.
    kevjj
    n/a n/a writes: There IS an exhaust outlet cut into the back of the case. 2" wide by 27" long. 1 1/2" from the lower edge.
    waynesc
    Wayne Ross writes:

This sounds great for my small shop, but how long can you leave it running before the heat builds up with no exhaust.  Would it help to cut an exhaust hole in the back to allow the heat to escape

Clint69
    Clint M writes: Exactly what l need, but l can't help wandering, if enough air is available for the vac to function properly, and as a previous poster asked, what about the heat that is generated?
    Clint69
    Clint M writes: This is exactly what l would like too. Besides the obvious heat build up, my other concern , is with the vac being in a box, surrounded by acoustic panels, how much air iis coming into the box, to supply the vac?
    jhonabundance
    andylisa
    andy lisa writes: I truly appreciate this site. I have been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on Google. You've made my day! Thanks again Betklik99 Agen Bola Terpercaya Piala Dunia 2014 Sewa Mobil Dimasrentcar Vcc.co.id Provider Vcc Murah di Indonesia
    Kennie
    Ken Guenther writes:

Looks like a very good way to reduce the noise level in the workshop, however I can not help but wonder about the heat build up inside causing the vacuum to go up in a puff of smoke or at least shortening the life of the shop vac.

babakpertama
    Babak Pertama writes: ASUS ZenFone Smartphone Android Terbaik. I really enjoyed the quality information you offer to your visitors for this blog. I will bookmark this page for my future reference. Thanks!
    Meatrabbits4All
    P Alley writes:

This is almost exactly what I need for the blower I use to groom animals!  (MOF I know a lot of groomers I'm going to pass this on to...)  But...how do you ensure that the air going out is quiet?  The blowers tends to shriek as the air enters as well as exits if you are using it as a vacuum, and it's just deafening.  I don't want it building up pressure inside the box, though.  How to avoid?
    Thanks all!

JJS339
    Joe Swetz writes: I built a similar cart for my 5 gal. air compressor...really helps reduce the noise. Add'l Tip...if you build the cart to the same height as your bench or table saw you can use it to extend your workbench surface or use as support/outfeed table for your table saw .
    andylisa