• Your rating: None (10 votes)

How to Use Biscuit Joints

By Tom Begnal

It will never match the beauty of a dovetail or the strength of a mortise-and-tenon, but for speed, accuracy, and ease of use, it’s hard to beat the biscuit joint.

Biscuit joints can be used on all wood products: solid wood, plywood, medium-density fiberboard (MDF), and particleboard. For this reason, they are great for cabinetry, which typically involves a mix of solid wood and sheet goods. Biscuits are a great way to join a plywood carcase and attach an assembled face frame. They also help keep things aligned when gluing solid-wood edging to plywood or assembling solid boards into a wide panel.

Biscuit joiner cuts the slots
    A dedicated tool and an oddly shaped tenon combine to create a biscuit joint. At the heart of the process is a power tool called a biscuit joiner or a plate joiner.

To make a joint, use the tool to cut a shallow slot in each of the mating parts. Then, after adding glue to each slot, insert a thin, football-shaped biscuit into one slot. A little more than half the biscuit’s width goes into the slot; the other half sticks out. To complete the joint, just slip the mating slot onto the “tenon” and clamp the parts together.

The biscuit joiner has just four main parts: a motor, a blade that cuts the slot, an adjustable fence that aligns some types of cut, and a base that houses the blade and also can align cuts.

The 4-in.-dia. blade looks like a miniature tablesaw blade. Unlike a tablesaw blade, however, the biscuit-joiner blade cuts horizontally. The kerf it creates, commonly called the slot, measures about 1/8 in., just wide enough to accept standard-thickness biscuits.

An adjustable stop on the joiner controls the depth of cut to match each of the common biscuit sizes—0, 10, and 20.

Thanks to a spring-loaded sliding “way” that connects the base and motor, you can butt the front of the base against a workpiece, start the motor, and push it forward. The spinning blade emerges from the front of the tool to cut a shallow, arc-shaped slot in the workpiece. Release the forward pressure, and the springs push the motor back to retract the spinning blade safely into the base.

Expanding biscuits fill the slots
    The second element in this joint is the biscuit. Made from beechwood or white birch that has been thoroughly dried, biscuits are compressed by machine to a standard thickness. For maximum all around strength, the biscuits are cut so the grain runs diagonally.

When a biscuit comes into contact with moisture, it swells. So when you insert a biscuit into a glue-lined slot, the biscuit expands, creating a snug fit and a tight joint. It is important to use only waterbased glues such as common yellow PVA glue. Biscuits won’t work with epoxy, cyanoacrylate (“super”) glue, or polyurethane glues.

Biscuits come in three standard sizes, No. 0, No. 10, and No. 20. The biscuit joiner has preset depth stops that match these sizes.

Use the fence or the base to locate the slot
    When using a biscuit joiner, you have two ways—the fence or the base—to register the slot in the workpiece. Each has advantages.

For extra flexibility, the adjustable fence lets you position the slot anywhere between 3/16 in. and 1 in. from the fence (if the biscuit is any closer than 3/16 in. to the surface of the workpiece, its swelling could create a bulge on the surface). Also, you can set the fence to cut slots in angled joints.

However, if all you want to do is center a slot on 3/4-in.-thick stock, it’s easier to register off the base. This is because the center of the kerf is located 3/8 in. from the bottom of the base. To create a slot in 3/4-in.-thick stock, place the base and the stock on the same flat surface and make the cut. It’s OK if the slot isn’t exactly centered; just remember not to flip the parts when it comes time to glue them.

Cut and assemble a simple biscuit joint
    With a biscuit joiner in hand, it takes just four steps to join a pair of 3/4-in.-thick boards end to edge. This joint is useful for making light-duty door frames, especially when the panel is plywood or MDF. That’s because plywood and MDF don’t expand and contract with changes in humidity, so they can be glued in place to add strength to the frame.

Step 1: Align and mark—Align the boards as you want to see them joined, and use a single line to mark the biscuit centerline on the top face of both parts.

Step 2: Determine the biscuit size— Based on the width of the board, choose the largest biscuit that it can accept. For the 3-in.-wide stock shown, no. 20 biscuits are a good choice.

Step 3: Cut the slots—Clamp one of the workpieces in place (never hold the workpiece by hand). Set the depth-adjustment knob for the appropriate biscuit size. Align the center-registration mark on the biscuit joiner with the biscuit centerline mark made in Step 1. Start the motor and, with one hand on the top handle and one hand on the motor housing, push the motor toward the stock. Continue cutting until you reach the stop, and then allow the spring action to return the motor to the starting point.

Step 4: Repeat—Repeat the process and cut the slots in the mating piece.

Step 5: Apply glue—Use a small brush (I use a throwaway soldering brush) to apply a generous coat of glue to each slot. Be sure to coat the sides of the slots—that’s where a lot of the glue strength comes from. Add glue to the biscuit and insert it into one of the slots, then attach the other piece and clamp them together. Don’t answer the phone after the biscuit has been inserted into the first slot. By the time you come back, it will already have swelled enough that you won’t be able to insert it in the second part of the joint. The only thing you can do then is let the glue dry, saw away the protruding part of the biscuit, and re-cut the slot.

You can also reference off the base
    Registering a cut from the joiner’s base always puts the biscuit slot 3/8 in. from the reference surface, or centered on 3/4-in. stock. This can make for quick biscuiting, as when attaching a fixed shelf to an upright.

Step 1: Layout trick—To start, mark out the shelf location on the case side and clamp the actual shelf along one of those lines. You are now set up to cut both sides of the biscuit joint.

Step 2: Just butt and cut—With the joiner base on the side piece, cut the biscuit slots in the end of the shelf (left). Reposition the joiner so the base butts against the end of the shelf, and cut the mating slots in the side piece (right).

Step 3: Join the parts—Apply glue to the slots and biscuits, then fit the shelf to the side pieces and add clamps.

Comments

Comment viewing options

anokhi
    anokhi susan writes:

You are now set up to cut both sides of the biscuit joint.Modeling Agencies in Tampa

ocpfsd1
    ocpfsd1 ocpfsd1 writes:

I would have bought a gym-quality frequent off C-list. Well, just when I considered this problem with growing cups was set. cabelos

albinamuro2
    albina muro2 writes:

It's not drastic if we will jump into the technicalities of 21st century because this will actually help us cope up with the advancement of it.

Fcebook Login
    ocpfsd1
    ocpfsd1 ocpfsd1 writes:

Thanks for taking this chance to debate this; I appreciate with this and if you have got some additional data please share it with Maine regarding Cake decorating ideas.Limousine services in Chicago

ocpfsd1
    ocpfsd1 ocpfsd1 writes:

They need to have the best equipments available in the market that would help them better their performance level. Car owners too need to buy the most original parts for their vehicles. For my vehicle I buy parts from our Tree Care Houston

mirana
    rey hae writes:

..I am happy to find this article.!!.
    ..This is really great.!!. I’ll definitely be back for updates..
    ..There are lot's of interesting topics, I loved reading them and I am searching
     for this kind of informative information. Thanks guys most especially to the admins,.."God Bless"..
    . purchase twitter favorites

ocpfsd1
    ocpfsd1 ocpfsd1 writes:

I would agree, and it is true that no private organization or corporation was criminally charged or convicted. I hope the law and the trial justice would do about this issue. I'm sure lots of normal people also thinking about it.Buy Paintings online

crazyzoarhaina
    Wayne bane writes:

I have followed that Biscuit Joints Steps and Its works. Actually, I want to it to make Texas recipes. Maybe there many tools which can help to make some Pefect Recipes.

blods
    blod blod writes:

its so nice to watch i have good experienced and it help me educate more things in life. I will bookmarked your page so that I can easily access them in the future references. purchase soundcloud likes

blods
    blod blod writes:

JGH0wning
    rey koyex1 writes:

..I am happy to find this article.!!.
    ..This is really great.!!. I’ll definitely be back for updates..
    . increase youtube views

umar khan
    umar khan writes:

Thank you, you are so right! I need to write another post about backlinks.   writing help

ocpfsd1
    ocpfsd1 ocpfsd1 writes:

You'll be able to laminate timber jointly regarding different thicknesses only when one particular area is going to be seen, or online mobile wallet even should you have entry to an energy jet, however if at all possible, you might begin with sort of, block product of the similar fullness.

wangits
    ewa oayoi writes:

Indeed excellent work. I really appreciate this wonderful post that you provide us. I enjoy reading the and watching the every steps instructions that you provide us in order to make a beautiful biscuits joints. Thank you for the effort and sharing your knowledge to us. I'm looking forward for more post like this. I will surely be back for updates.
    Be with us get twitter favorites

SheilaFesta
    Sheila Festa writes:

Thanks for the tutorial. I have used your tutorial help me a lot

regards -Artigos festa

adamjack679
    adam jack writes:

So, you have decided that you want to learn how to snowboard? After learning how to get a basic feel for riding, the next critical component in the learning process is establishing a good foundation of basics from pros that know what they are talking about read more .

petersmith3108
    peter smith writes:

Biscuit joint is indeed a strong joint. Thanks for the tutorial. I have used your tutorial and made a biscuit joint for my holding shelves in the kitchen. It is pretty strong and I think it will stay for a long time

windows 8 upgrade

chuckie21
    rex xer writes:

Good work! I always like to leave comments whenever I see something unusual or impressive. I think we must appreciate those who do something especial. Keep it up, thanks

gain twitter retweets

Thanks-

Cheetahh
    Cheetah Red writes:

These are really great creations.

buy twitter retweets

ocpfsd1
    ocpfsd1 ocpfsd1 writes:

I really appreciate this wonderful post that you have provided for us. I assure this would be beneficial for most of the people. This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. Garcinia cambogia

azure001
    azure iyuga writes:

I think the key themes boil down to how we talk to ourselves, how we respond to things, how we make meaning, who we spend time with, and how we make the most of what we’ve got.   The other key thing is that happiness is dynamic and it’s not a static state.  It’s about living, learning and growing, and rolling with the punches.  I also think it’s important to think of happiness as a skill.  Drive from happiness.  For durable happiness, lead your happiness from the inside out.

buy high retention youtube views here

jessiedirico
    Jessie dirico writes:

Thanks for sharing this wonderful article. I totaaly satisfied with your point details. For more details buy our website traffic to increase your real and targeted visitors on your website.

dalladalla
    dalladalla dalladalla writes:

It is possible to laminate lumber together connected with varying thicknesses only when one facet are going to be seen Passbeemedia Wallet, or even should you have usage of a power aircraft, but ultimately, you can start with type of, sq substance from the same depth.

jenniferlopez10
    jennifer lopez writes:

You can laminate lumber together of differing thicknesses if only one side will be visible, or if you have access to a power plane, but ideally, you will begin with sized, square material of the same thickness.

Orange County esthetician schools

anchormaster
    anchor master writes:

Beyond that, some tools are more dangerous than others.

click here
    mcgaffey
    Peg Lang writes:

Why don't I see advertisements for Biscuit Joiners?  Are woodworkers using something else?  Maybe a router?

I have the Fine Homebuilding and Fine Woodworking Tool Guides 2007-2013.  The 2007 issue has an article on Biscuit Joiners.  None of the newer issues address the machine.

Michael Smith
    Michael Smith writes:

I enjoyed that. Very informitive. Now I will be a bit more relaxed when I finally

decide to use one. Plus I can always come back to this site to refresh.

dan50070
    dan mcmenamin writes:

Thanks, very straight forward and informative.  WTG.

rwise58
    Ron Wise writes:

This has been a very informative lesson and well written, and easy to understand.