• Your rating: None (3 votes)

Making a Small Wooden Box, Part 1

Learn the basics of box building, including: cutting mitered corners, box glue-up, cutting splines, and much more...

Working With Wood
    with Paul Ruhlmann

Paul Ruhlman demonstrates how to build a simple wooden box and offers some great safety tips for this process in a two-part video series. In part one you’ll learn:

• How to layout your cuts to get all of the box sides from a single board to keep the grain consistent
    • All about cutting miter joints
    • How to cut a groove on the router table that will hold the bottom in place
    • How to measure the true dimensions of your box for a perfect fitting bottom
    • Dry fitting and gluing up your box
    • How to cut the slots for your splines with a biscuit joiner jig

Stay tuned for Part 2 that will cover trimming the splines, attaching a top, and finishing.

StartWoodworking

Comments

Comment viewing options

davidalan1122
    davidalan1122 davidalan1122 writes:

Thanks for the valuable information and insights you have so provided here...                     linkedin ads

nahugoki
    Jarred Sanger writes:

I am a beginer in many areas and like what you have done. I believe a set of plans is available, and would like to get them whenever they come out. I am looking forward to making this my first real project after working on home repairs and remodeling.  belgian waffle maker

user-2340671
    Alan Nixen writes:

Hello Paul:

Wonderfu videos!

What great work for those of us who, otherwise, have no available advice.

Could you please tell me where I can buy hinges small enough to use on a box with 3/8" inch stock.

Many thanks for your anticipated courtesy.

Alan.

supersyd
    Seddon Randall writes:

laugh     Boy O Boy   is this jig going to help me with a job I have had trouble with. My friends will get a shock until I show them how its done. Thanks to all who have put this jig together so I can improve my end result.  yes

bobkronberger
    Byte_man
    Rick Frenger writes:

I'm also interested in the spline jig plans .  The video certainly gets the technique across.

bobkronberger
    Bob Kronberger writes:

I'm also interested in the spline jig plans. Nice looking feature that adds great strength to the project. One could put this technique to work in a number of other projects.

KenGroves
    Ken Groves writes:

Both videos are excellant and have provided me with a couple of extra hints in the making of a box - thank you.

Like Harold, I too would be interested in any plans available for the spline cutting jig.

Hal W
    Harold Williams writes:

This is a nice looking and useful project.  It would be helpful to show the plans for the spline cutting jig attached to the slot cutting machine.  (Since I happen to own the same brand of slot cutter, I am curious as to how the jig is attached to the tool.)